Saturday 10 May 2008

Jordan

Mentally, I’m beginning to leave FtW, but I haven’t got quite enough integrity to leave physically, as Mary and Norma have. It’s the same for others: “I feel like I’m sacrificing my principles” says one Dane, but we all agree that it’s worth sticking it out for a variety of reasons; it’s an easy way into Palestine (“we’re just a tour group anyway” says Jutta), journalism (there are many journalists around, all wondering how to write about FtW), sticking things out, wanting to change FtW. Stine especially believes in the latter and wants to save the whole idea of FtW – she’s inspiring me to be more positive.

It’s a shame that I’m already tired and emotional in Jordan, as the co-ordinator here, German-Jordanian Marta, is wonderful. “At least I am a woman” she says, and has planned the best things that have happened in the trip so far. But I’m starting to drop out of the activities – I’m not cycling, and I’m feeling more and more alienated from the spirit of the enterprise.

So today I've been to the famous Books@Café, on Rainbow Street in west Amman, close to Kate’s and KK’s place (where I’m staying). I made my way to the Roman Amphitheatre (the only tourist site in Amman), guided by the sound of the peace chants. It was a lovely day, and actually great to see the girls...and in the evening comes the bit we’ve all been begging for: a workshop on Follow the Women. Woohoo for Marta.

No comments: