Saturday 16 July 2011

Wot, no guns?


The mall I'm in doesn't allow guns. Air conditioning and weapon-free: coolio. I have seen guns while I've been here, one in a very strange incident yesterday, on the road from the mountain back to Erbil. The road is wide enough for 3 or 4 cars but there are no markings and thus nothing to guide the BMW in front, nothing to stop it wandering all over the place. Hoshang beeps. And again. Then goes to overtake at which point the BMW swings over and and clips us. We meet on the side of the road; all three of the passengers in front getting out to meet a very angry Hoshang. I stay in the car, and stay very firmly when I see the driver wearing a weapon belt: I see guns, knives, and a hand grenade. He is belligerent but nothing against Hoshang, and another steps in, conciliatory, smiling, an arm on Hoshang's. It turns out that all three are very drunk. Drunk in charge of a BMW and a hand grenade. The soldier at the next checkpoint doesn't even seem to know whether drink-driving is legal or not...I know I know I promised Kurdistan was safe, but I didn't think to ask about driving habits...

No comments: