Friday 15 July 2011

From Costa, Erbil, Iraq


I won't freakin well go to Costa on Mill Road but here I am in Erbil, drinking pretty gross coffee (UHT milk does not a latte make) and eating a mediocre muffin and being charged $17 for the privilege...all in the name of anthropology (and Western toilets).

At first I thought it was all fat businessmen and spoilt boys (and a few tourists inside with the air conditioning), but now families are coming out, and groups of girls too, tight jeans, high heels, make-up; studiously ignoring everyone, including me.

News has just come in that there's been a PKK attack in Diyarbakir, Turkey, where this project began: 13 Turkish soldiers dead and 5 injured, and perhaps 5 PKK members dead too. So perhaps we can't get into the camp tomorrow...maybe we should just stay here and interview spoilt rich kids and sod the terrorists.

So I'm going to approach the cool chicks now; more intimidating than any PKK member I've ever met in any country.

No comments: